

A lot happened last week. My birthday wast the 8th but we had Jake's birthday party that day. We are always on vacation for his birthday and he has never had a birthday party with friends. We were going to be gone again this year on his special day so I gave him mine. We had a party at our house complete with an Iron Man cake and another party at the cabin in Hood River with cookies from a mix and that gross frosting from a tube.

He got an Optimus Prime Helmet that I found at a garage sale for 1$ back in March. It makes you sound like Optimus Prime when you talk. It is actually very cool but I usually go nuts after about 2 minutes of him saying "transformers, roll out" "I am optimus prime" and my personal favorite "move, or I will give you a huge wedgie underwear boy". I usually send him outside so he can bother the neighbors and old ladies walking their dogs. He even slept in it for a few nights.







The trip to Oregon started out great. We went with my sister Heather. She is the best Aunt and a really fun sister. Oregon is such a pretty state after you get thru the part that looks like western Idaho. We arrived at our beach cottage about 6pm. If you ever go to the coast, get the info on this cottage. It was fabulous, it slept all 5 of us but could sleep more kids easily, had a full kitchen, separate bedroom, loft for the kids and a sleeper sofa, and a washer and dryer. It only cost us 70$ a night and was a block and a half walk to a fabulous beach. After playing in the waves for a while Mike started to feel very tired and complained of sore shoulders. He went to bed early and we watched a movie with the boys. Day two we went to Newport to go tide-pooling and visit the lighthouse there. Jake climbed to the top but Sam was a bit nervous and stayed on solid ground. On the way back to Lincoln city, Mike was feeling even worse and fell asleep and went to bed as soon as we got to the cottage. Mike woke up that night with a temperature of 103 a severe headache and sore throat, yep, strep. Day three we took Mike to the Doc in the box as soon as it opened. They didn't even culture him, it was that obvious. We got antibiotics and pain meds and put Mike to bed. I was so glad to be in a house with a separate bedroom instead of a cramped hotel room. Heather and I took the boys to Newport again to the aquarium, it had been foggy and drizzly since we arrived and the rain turned into a constant cold mist. Everyone had the same idea that day. The place was packed but was well worth it. Jake complained the whole time because he wanted to go see the sharks. When we finally got there he was soooo disappointed because he thought they would be killer sharks, not the puny 4 footers in the tank.
Mike was still out of commission when we returned. We walked down the street to a 1 acre cottage garden that was so pretty and full of all sorts of exotic plants. I was doing lunch dishes and noticed sunlight pouring thru the window. I grabbed the boys and ran down to the beach. The ocean is completely different when you can see more than 100 yards thru mist and fog. The boys played for over 3 hours. Sam kept saying " I can't believe how different it is, it just changed into a different beach" I am so glad that we had that afternoon to just play and enjoy the sun. When we got back Mike actually looked alive, sort-of.
Day 5 we left early to go on a hike. It was a mile and a half hike to a waterfall but it had a suspension bridge to cross. My boys had no fear crossing, I on the other hand could not look down. We got back, cleaned and packed and headed to Tillamook to go sample squeaky cheese curds. It had more than that but that was my favorite part. I love cheese and am not ashamed to admit it. It had an ovbservation deck where you could watch the cheese being made and really yummy fresh icecream. I bought some squeaky cheese at the gift shop and we headed to a cabin in Mt. Hood. We sort of splurged on this cabin because it was unbelievably cool. It was newly remodled as of January and was just fun to look at. Follow the link below to see pics. The kitchen was to die for as was the bathroom. It rained that night but was worth it, somehow rain in the mountains sounds so awesome. The next day we hiked to Mirror Lake which is supposed to mirror Mt. Hood, but the fog followed us from the coast and there was no mountain to be seen.The good thing was, Mike had finally recovered enough to come along. It was still a beautiful hike. When we got back Mike built a fire in the fire-pit and we made smores. It was a perfect end to a great trip. We left about 10 the next morning. The next time we go on vacation I am premedicating Mike. Oh I forgot to mention that somewhere in there our car battery died and we had to have it replaced, if you ever need a really friendly, cheap mechanic in Lincoln City give us a call.
Cabin in Hood River
5 comments:
Neat to wake up and read all about your wonderful trip! Good pictures....love all the pictures. So glad you had such a wonderful time. Makes me happy:-)
Awww, now I am more jealous than EVER!!! No seriously, great fun reading about your trip. Thanks for taking the time to write about it an post pics. I hope everyone is well again and glad you were with in reach of a doctor!!! :-) Miss you all!
Forgot to say ....I loved Jake sleeping in his helmet ....awesome. Good purchase mom!
Jake's helmet is too funny especially when you took the time to get a picture! You are the best!
Tillamook squeaky cheese! Miss it! I love Oregon. Kris is actually thinking about adding Medford Oregon to the list of possibilities after we are done with our tour here in Mexico City. Not as close as Boise to you guys but it's definitely closer than Mexico!
Poor Mike! Did any of the rest of you come down with strep? Anytime someone gets strep in our house it makes its way through everyone except me. I've been tested as a carrier but it was negative. Have no idea why I never get it but everyone else does!
what a great trip, minus the strep throat!and I love the car wash post!it made me laugh! heather
Post a Comment