Monday, November 8, 2010

One year later

It has been a little over a year since my last post. I know that the time is way overdue for an update. First, I would like to explain why it is that I have failed to blog. I went shopping with a good friend of mine this past Saturday. We went to a home decor store called Graples(seriously), for their annual blow out sale. My friend was shocked that I had never been there. She would probably be more shocked to know that I have never gone because I consciously choose not to go to stores with names like Graples. But we were going out for soup, salad and breadsticks after and I really wanted the food. We entered the store and my nostrils were immediately accosted by over-active scentsy burners. The smell however was nothing compared to the clostrophobia I felt as I was squeezed through a maze of red berry wreaths, twine balls, wrought iron picture hangers, and ridiculously large wall clocks, not to mention the hoards of perfectly coiffed women in matching track suits. Graples is a warehouse of home decor. It has everything in every size and color. It even had a room completely dedicated to flocked Christmas decor. My friends were looking at things and imagining them in their homes and at one point a friend pointed out a 5 foot painted giraffe figurine and said, "now that is what I call cute" I snorted a laugh because I thought she was being funny then had to pretend to be coughing when I realized she was not. What I don't understand is how half of the population of the United Stated can claim to be "laughing, loving, and living", (we know this because they have it in black vinyl lettering across their red accent wall right below their giant clock). I know people decorate because it is an expression of themselves but then how can they put their professionally retouched photos in red wainscoting frames surrounded by the same twine balls that are found in all of their girlfriend's houses and in the twine ball room at Graples. I just don't see the charm in being like everyone else and in expressing yourself in things bought on credit at a discount home decor warehouse.
My mother recently gave me a kitchen shelf that was my great granmother's, and she told me how she used to keep all of her recipies and cookbooks in it. It is the most expensive thing in my house(it is 150+ yrs. old) and it was completely free. I doubt that it will ever go out of style considering it has been around for that long. So you may be wondering what this has to do with blogging. Sometimes I feel like blogging is like home decor from Graples. Everyone posts their highly edited photos complete with matching borders and backround music. The blog is so busy that the story is completely missed. I was reading a friend's blog the other day and she told a very heartwarming story about her children but half of the comments were about how cute her new backround was and asking where she got it. Sharing a family blog is like inviting someone into your life. I sometimes feel that our blogs are as overdecorated and "cute-ified" as our homes. I like sweet stories about kids and imperfect pictures to go along with them. I like my great-grandmother's kitchen shelf that held sweet old recipes that fed the family I love so much. I guess I am just simple. For me blogging and decorating are best achieved with minimal effort and a lot of sincerity. A quote by Leonardo DaVinci says it best:"simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"

6 comments:

Erin Dougal said...

Oh no! I hope I'm not a Graple blogger! I'm not a Graple person in real life though either and I can totally see your perspective. I hope you continue blogging about what you and your family are up to :)

Mike, Kerry, Sam or Jake said...

I know you are not a graples girl. That is why I love you so much! I will continue blogging. I like blogs, just not many.

Janet said...

I'm glad you're not a
Graples girl ...and I'm so happy you are enjoying your great-grandma's kitchen shelf. That's why I wanted you to have it. This reminded me of a time when Relief Society sisters were making these "Grapes"...they were out of glass and the cluster of perfectly made ones were to be set in the perfectly clean living room on their perfectly fine furniture. I never went for that...it just wasn't me.

Angie said...

I love your background! Where did you get it? Just kiddin!. I understand because sometimes I fall into the wantabe graple girl. I love my ward here and the ladies are great but all of their homes are grapled to the tee!. (i think we found a new word) I am having a hard time fitting in and staying me. Whenever I walk into their homes it makes me want mine to look like theirs. We had a progressive dinner the other night and I hosted the mine dish. I really wanted my house to look like the other ones but then I remembered that we all cant be the same. Other ladies in the ward needed to know that your house didn't need to look like the other ones. That a little plain it ok. That's for the reminder. I love you and your house they way they are. Just don't judge me for my cute background on my blog. At least I don't have music. I hate that.

Mike, Kerry, Sam or Jake said...

Angie, you are so funny. I love your blog because it is always simple and sweet. I really like blog backgrounds, but I sometimes feel like it is a competition for the cutest blog when they get carried away. I am soooo glad that my sisters in law are not graples girls. Your house is always so nice and inviting. Maybe I do need to hire that nurse and come see you.

Holly said...

Ah, I haven't blogged because no one read it anyways. Cool you updated though. I periodically checked yours the whole past long year. My decor is medical equipment and kids toys and papers I need to file. I have some nice pictures, but don't want to marr the walls of a house not mine. Not that my kids don't marr them anyways ( is that how you spell marr?) with strollers that carry their medical equipment. Oh and Aidan just added his signature to the wall in marker, though we are glad he can write his name. I have decided that I am the one who can make everyone else feel better, you know, "at least I have more decor than Holly Prows" kind of thing. Love and hugs.